LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Old Songs"  (Read 1861 times)

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

"Old Songs"
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:20:18 PM »
Is there such a things as old songs in gospel music?   I think of this as a music ministry so whatever song ministers to the congregation should be sung rather it's on the popular radio stations or not.  My choir complains that we learn songs from years ago.  Well maybe it didn't minister when it was out but now we understand it.

What is the popular thought?  Is there a cut off time when you should teach a song that's out right now??

Praise God!

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: "Old Songs"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:51:45 PM »
Perosnally, I don't think there is a cut off for learning songs.  Thats the beauty of gospel music.  But to me, I get irritated when churches feel that they have to always learn the top 10 songs on the radio.
:)

Offline 2KlubKlarity

• LGM Member
  • Green Eyed Divinity
    • Let me know who you are & where you are from (lgm)

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
I feel the same 4H. I like singing gospel in general. As I like the song and it gets me feeling the spirit, I'll do it.
"Prayer is the key. Faith unlocks the door."

Offline MikaSue

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise God!
    • MikaSue Designs

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 09:58:12 AM »
Thanks guys.  I dont' reach as far back as "all in his hands"  but I may learn something off the WOW 2004 cd  instead of the WOW 2005 and they like - THAT'S OLD.  what????????????

So i'm going to keep choosing songs that minister to me.
Praise God!

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:34:32 PM »
I don't think gospel rally gets "old" per se, unless it's like a crossover song that EVERYBODY knows and EVERYBODY sings. With many songs, there are always gonna be many in the choir and audience who have never heard them, so the song is going to be new to them. I teach my youth choir many songs from the 80s and 90s and the youth LOVE them.
Romans 1:16

Lyric33

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »
I go back and forth between some of the older and newest music. To tell the truth I really like the older, some of my favorites are older songs. I don't know if anyone remembers The Truthettes but I've done many of their songs. And I'm working on "Victory" now by Yolanda Adams. So, I think it's just what you're feeling at the time. Maybe something old....maybe something new.... ;)

Offline CHESSTOY06

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 08:15:21 AM »
I TEACH MY CHOIR NEW AND OLD SONGS.I DON'T THINK THAT SONGS GET OLD BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY TO CHANGE THEM UP AND ALL CHOIRS DON'T SING THEM THE SAME WAY. RIGHT NOW WE ARE LEARNING YESTERDAY BY MARY MARY. GETTING READY FOR OUR 32ND CHOIR ANNIVERSARY. WHICH I AM THE DIRECTRESS

Offline Quatrece

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »
It is wonderful to do a mix of old an new.  Many of the old songs had such meaning to them.  I also find that the youth enjoy singing some of the older songs.  With the middle age and older members of the church they enjoy being reminded of songs from the past.  It is like hearing an old jam.  The beauty of gospel is it will never stop ministering to people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up