LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to spend $40?  (Read 1523 times)

HammerRock

Best way to spend $40?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »
http://www.bassguitarsecrets.com/ - a course

-OR-

http://www.sienzo.com/ - a way to get the tabs of songs you are tring to practice

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Best way to spend $40?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
if you're only going to rely on tabs to learn a song and not your ear or some kind of theory  you're hindering yourself in  major way
Somebody put me in the key of E#

HammerRock

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:23:21 PM »
I guess I've been playing by ear mostly, but lately I think I've been getting too attached to lead sheets. I mean, if I know what key we're in I know what notes go in that key, but I'd like to be a little more proficient in that. You think that course will help me with this?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:02:57 PM »
I guess I've been playing by ear mostly, but lately I think I've been getting too attached to lead sheets. I mean, if I know what key we're in I know what notes go in that key, but I'd like to be a little more proficient in that. You think that course will help me with this?

yes, yes, and yes

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 04:58:24 PM »
if you're only going to rely on tabs to learn a song and not your ear or some kind of theory  you're hindering yourself in  major way

My take on this topic is.... I don't have time to wait for my ears to improve I have to play now. I taught myself to read standard notation, tab and lead/chord sheets.

I'm sure it takes longer to learn to play by ear. I am some what tone deaf. I've been playing for 1.5 years before I could hear a bass part. I've been working on my ears and it's taking time. It was nothing for me to learn the theory side.

HammerRock

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 06:53:40 AM »
I bought the course at

http://www.bassguitarsecrets.com/

Let me tell you, so far it's really good. For $40 you get more than your money's worth.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 10:21:13 AM »
told ya man.  You WILL NOT be disappointed in this.

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00:59 AM »
I bought the course at

Let me tell you, so far it's really good. For $40 you get more than your money's worth.

Okay. Sounds like a good...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline Dani_D

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 08:56:37 AM »
I bought the course at

I did too...and I am happy so far...I still would like to setup some in person lessons sometime just to make sure I am on the right path

HammerRock

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 10:09:35 AM »
I've been playing for almost 20 years on and off, without formal training. From what I've read so far I have learned so much from this stuff. I started at the beginning to "fill in the gaps" and found it worthwhile. If you follow those steps you should be alright, but then again, I'm still in the first book of his.

Offline wolldav

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
Bassguitarsecrets!  EXCELLENT!....by far it beats all of the books, cd's, dvd,s that i have...i have loads of books, but this program simplifies it all...i've got the program a couple months ago and WoW, i'm digging it..

d.w.

HammerRock

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 10:18:12 AM »
Bassguitarsecrets!  EXCELLENT!....by far it beats all of the books, cd's, dvd,s that i have...i have loads of books, but this program simplifies it all...i've got the program a couple months ago and WoW, i'm digging it..

d.w.

So you can definitely see an overall improvement? In playing by ear? Speed and execution? Timing? World Hunger? (ok, maybe the last one is a stretch!)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 10:28:21 AM »
So you can definitely see an overall improvement? In playing by ear? Speed and execution? Timing? World Hunger? (ok, maybe the last one is a stretch!)

i can't speak for anyone else, but I can see an improvement in my playing.

Offline cogicguy

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:45:01 AM »

My take on this topic is.... I don't have time to wait for my ears to improve I have to play now. I taught myself to read standard notation, tab and lead/chord sheets.

I'm sure it takes longer to learn to play by ear. I am some what tone deaf. I've been playing for 1.5 years before I could hear a bass part. I've been working on my ears and it's taking time. It was nothing for me to learn the theory side.

I have to agree with this statment, I need to play now. I'm not tone dead, and I can hear bass part. But I need that sheet in front of me during service in order for me to play the song, unless I memorize it. So when I go to my music lesson I have my teacher tab out whatever songs for that week and I practice
No weapon formed against me shall prosper

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 03:14:07 PM »
I have to agree with this statment, I need to play now. I'm not tone dead, and I can hear bass part. But I need that sheet in front of me during service in order for me to play the song, unless I memorize it. So when I go to my music lesson I have my teacher tab out whatever songs for that week and I practice

i say this with love and i mean this.

If that's all your doing you're limiting yourself and you'll be hard pressed to reach the next level.  What if your church wants you to write a tasty bass line for a new song they came up with? Yes you can still come up with something, but by relying on merely tabs to make it week to week you're putting yourself in the posotion of being a "sheep". 

HammerRock

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 08:11:41 AM »
but by relying on merely tabs to make it week to week you're putting yourself in the posotion of being a "sheep". 

... and that's always a b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h-d idea! (excuse the pun).

Seriously, think of the parable of the talents. If the Lord has given you the talent, and even if you only think it's a 1, wouldn't you want to return it to him as a 10, or whatever you can bring it up to? I needed to start treating my gifting and talent like it was a hobby and started to think of it as part of my CALLING.

Pray about it. If the Lord has put within you the desire to play then seek Him and multiply that talent as much as you can, and I'm not saying you have to become obsessed with it. I've learned to do ALL THINGS as unto the Lord.  ;)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 08:54:58 AM »
... and that's always a b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h-d idea! (excuse the pun).

Seriously, think of the parable of the talents. If the Lord has given you the talent, and even if you only think it's a 1, wouldn't you want to return it to him as a 10, or whatever you can bring it up to? I needed to start treating my gifting and talent like it was a hobby and started to think of it as part of my CALLING.

Pray about it. If the Lord has put within you the desire to play then seek Him and multiply that talent as much as you can, and I'm not saying you have to become obsessed with it. I've learned to do ALL THINGS as unto the Lord.  ;)

Amen brotha.  That's the BEST way to look at it.  we want to serve God with our BEST.
Pages: [1]   Go Up