LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Practice by Steve Smith  (Read 9507 times)

JFunky

Re: The Art of Practice by Steve Smith
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 11:52:35 AM »
...here are my 2 cents on this: 

...the very first drum clinic that I went to was conducted by the Master himself, Steve Smith, in 2002.  When I saw how he was moving around his lovely white pearl Sonor Kit ;D, "Effortlessly" without doing any weird movements or what not, I was like; Oh man! Wow!  I want to look like that when I play.  Then as he continued and I heard how he was pulling the sound out of his kit I was like; Oh snap!  I want my drums to sound like that!

...then he hit all of the drummers in the crowd with this:  "I recommend every drummer in this building to get with a teacher and learn your craft.  If you've studied with a teacher, find a mentor.  I'm older now and I still have mentors and teachers."

...I was like, "Whoa"!  This guy is insane.  What more could he want?  But watching his playing and the way he applies Freddie Gruber's teachings to his playing is beautiful.

...We as drummers in general have to accept fundamentals but we need someone to teach us those fundamentals.  If you want to learn, the material is there but you will need a teacher.  If you don't, then you will struggle and keep on struggling until you figure it out. 

Sidenote:
...I myself don't have a teacher yet, but I do have about 3 mentors who know what they're talking about and have the background to prove it. ;) 

rjthakid

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »
Nothing is wrong with GospelChops in itself.

I think the point being made is that the explainations for the most part lack that foundation. Randy's clip by far is the most instructional foundationally to the instrument.

Yea, we're saying the same thing here.

JFunky

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 05:08:57 PM »
"...SPLASH !!!!!!!"  some where in the deep waters off the coast.

...Yeah, I think you're right man.  It'll wash up on the shores of Aruba 20 yrs. from now. ;)

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »
Digested...
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline EricT

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 11:19:05 AM »
Yea i think Imma go get that video..seems to be very cool....
Proverbs 3: 5-6

Offline sonofpaul

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 05:39:54 PM »
yea, the video is great...but the last time some chumps broke into my house, they took off with it..it would have been better to take my microwave than that vid!!!!....sorry punks...but I bet their becoming better drummers....

JFunky

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
...My New Year's Resolution is to stick to what Steve has stated.  I'm combining this with Chris Colemans "ABC Method".

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »
this is an excellent post.  5 stars!!!!!   :)

Div you made some great points!  right on the money with this one J!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up