LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mastery of the twelve keys  (Read 3513 times)

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

Mastery of the twelve keys
« on: July 19, 2004, 01:09:10 AM »
How do you practice a song in all twelve keys? Do you do it in one sitting?Do you practice six now, then the other six later? Do you tell yourself I'm only going to play this in the sharp keys today, or I'm only going to play in the flat keys today. What is your personal approach?
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline TRUPRODIGY

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 01:39:34 AM »
I PRACTICE USING THE CIRCLE OF 4THS EX( C ,F,Bb etc) and i'll play until i get back to key i strated on.

Offline b3maniac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:29:07 AM »
To practice a song in all 12 keys in one practice session sure seems to be time consuming, but if you have that kind of time, good luck! Personally I try to practice 2 keys per day; that way I cover all 12 keys in one week. Doing it this way seems to work out better for me because I'm not cramming to much information into my brain in one day. I have learned that I actually obtain less knowledge when i'm trying to cram it all in at one time or in one day. Here's my schedule:
Monday...C&D
Tues...E&F
Wed...G&A
Thur...B&C#
Fri...Eb&Gb
Sat...Ab&Bb
Sunday...I 'm able to put into action all of my learnings throughout the week by playing at my church on Sundays.

Offline rd600

• LGM Member

circle of 4ths
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »
i was reading something about the circle of 4ths, i have a chart also but what's the point of it? why is it so special? I know its quintal chords. ie C F Bb, , but how can this help you?

Offline bug

• LGM Member

rd600
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 02:10:48 PM »
Chords change in a logical manner usually, not not in all cases. A C chord of some quality usually preceeds an F chord of some quality. The F usually comes before a Bb of some quality. Bb usually goes to an Eb chord of some quality when then goes to an Ab of some quality. ect...  This is why the circle or cycle of 5ths/4ths is important.

The cycle seldom exceeds 5  before you modulate. The chord sequences may vary the cycle by adding or eliminating a chord or two, and the progression may abruptly move to a remote place from the previous chord, but the pattern established by the cycle of fifths will generally show through the variations.

The next most common chord root movement is down in half steps. Then upward in half steps. The least common is whole step movement up or down.
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline bug

• LGM Member

mistake
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 02:16:35 PM »
I made a mistake in my fourth sentence. I wrote  Eb chord when then goes to an Ab....... I should have written Eb chord which then goes to an Ab chord.   Sorry for the confusion.

Offline b3maniac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 05:07:23 PM »
To rd600,
Circle of 4ths is important in your learnings. One thing it does is helps you in your quest to play in every key (because it covers all 12 keys). It also shows relationship between the different keys. I think that it is a good tool for musicians (especially beginners) to use. I practice the circle often, even adding tritones in Lh. I use to have trouble figuring out chords in certain keys, but thanks to the circle, I can go straight to them, but just have to invert some or most of them. Be blessed and keep on keepin on!
B3Maniac.

Offline rd600

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 09:40:32 PM »
i dont get it :(

Offline TLJACKSON

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 08:49:41 AM »
me either.  can someone break this down a littttllleee bit more.

Offline luvaofmusiq

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 05:01:10 PM »
THIS MAY BE A GOOD TIP FOR THOSE THAT ARE STILL HAVING TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING CIRCLE OF 4th's/5th's; JERMAINE GRIGGS BREAKS IT DOWN VERY WELL.  I TOO HAD TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING SOME ASPECTS BUT JERMAINE GIVES A VERY GOOD AND USEFUL BREAKDOWN.  HIS WEB ADDR IS www.hearandplay.com

I HOPE THIS HELPS!
Pages: [1]   Go Up