LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When a choir slowly dies...  (Read 3871 times)

Offline musician_organist

• LGM Member
    • http://

When a choir slowly dies...
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:49:24 PM »
i saw a video of my church's choir back in 1986.  it was huge, and filled up our choir stand.  now, these days, all we can really do is fill up one row, and maybe stick about 2 people on the second row.

my mother made a list of people who were no longer in the choir, and it turns out that many are dead, while the others are mainly just sitting out in the audience every sunday, and have been doing so for years.  we are under the direction of a new MOM than we were during the time of the video, because the previous MOM was removed from the position and the position given to someone who was really unqualified.

all of the choir members know that the current MOM is very much so unqualified.  i just wonder if the pastor can see that.

what could a person do about the choir?

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: When a choir slowly dies...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:04:22 PM »
i saw a video of my church's choir back in 1986.  it was huge, and filled up our choir stand.  now, these days, all we can really do is fill up one row, and maybe stick about 2 people on the second row.

my mother made a list of people who were no longer in the choir, and it turns out that many are dead, while the others are mainly just sitting out in the audience every sunday, and have been doing so for years.  we are under the direction of a new MOM than we were during the time of the video, because the previous MOM was removed from the position and the position given to someone who was really unqualified.

all of the choir members know that the current MOM is very much so unqualified.  i just wonder if the pastor can see that.

I totally understand what you talkin about. (I am one of the ones sittin in the congregation)   I don't know, but I know a lot of people are having this issue.
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline bryant_cctx

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:12:01 AM »
Hi. What I would do first is to begin to pray for the ministry. I to have seen music ministries die. I know you always here people say pray, but that’s what you really have to do.  You may not understand why your Pastor put the current MOM in position but he did it for a reason. What I would tell those who work in the ministry to just support the Minister of Music and lift him up before GOD.  You don’t want to cause trouble or really begin to talk too much about the situation cause then that wouldn’t look so good on you. But continue to work and work hard, and put your all into ministry and I know GOD will begin to turn things around for the Music Ministry and the Church as a whole.

BE BLESSED
Bro. Bryant
BE BLESSED
Bro. Bryant

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 07:37:41 AM »
Why not just go to the pastor and get clarification on the issue.  Something may have gone down with the former MOM for him/her to get removed.  No matter how qualified, if they weren't living to God's standards, should not be serving.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline CynthiaJones

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
I see this happening to our choir. I am the musician. There are those of us whom God has given a talent and man compares us to others and we are in the "unqualified" section. What I do - I do for the glory of God. I like Rodney's thoughts - and that is to pray for the musician you have and let God elevate. Constantly, I pray that God will send someone to me that will help me increase on what I have. It's hard but I will never leave a church again. I did only once - and I almost lost the use of my right arm. God doesn't play. When He gives you something to use - use it. Maybe this church might think that a musician is unqualified - but God will open up another door for you to use your gift.  Remember - Your gift will make room for you.  So I think the best thing to do is PRAY and let God work. Don't get tied up and bring confusion.

Offline musician_organist

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:41:46 PM »
Why not just go to the pastor and get clarification on the issue.  Something may have gone down with the former MOM for him/her to get removed.  No matter how qualified, if they weren't living to God's standards, should not be serving.

the reason why the MOM was confused was because that year, the pastor had come up with a new rule.  All ministry leaders were to attend a conference retreat, with class sessions in the day and night.  they were supposed to attend a certain amount of sessions.  the MOM could not because she could not take off of work to go on the retreat and could only make the sessions at night, but none in the day.  she was removed from her position for that, and the position of MOM was given to one of the choir directors (the other director had the position a while back, but that didn't work either) because there was no one else the position could be given to.  The MOM knows nothing about music, cannot teach parts, and relies on the former MOM (pianist) to help all the time.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »
A MOM who used to be a choir director and cannot teach parts or know music¿!

Sounds like they weren't qualified as the choir director as well.  That's saddening to hear. :-\
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »
Welcome To LGM, CynthiaJones
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »
This is a very good Topic, and is happening more and more. We must PRAY to the Lord to help us and our entire Ministry.
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline SAHSHA13

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »
You know, man looks at the outside but God looks at the heart.  If one's heart is pure and his motive is to "lift Jesus up" God will give the increase.  You can't see it in the natural, but that's why you are not the Pastor.  God shows the pastor visions of what's to come...and the Pastor can see a seed in people that is not evident yet, necessarily!  We just want a finished product, without any investment...you have to invest listening to someone make mistakes, hit bad notes, etc...before they grow into perfection.  Richard Smallwood wasn't born playing and being the great all around artist that he is....he had to DEVELOP.....so we have to give people a chance.  HOWEVER!!!  The person in charge should be capable of reasonable service or you can kill a choir.  People become discouraged and fall out, etc, when there is disorganization or someone not prepared, etc.  While you want to weed out the devil and those who only come for the"glory" and to "shine" (we all have those), you don't want to have a beginner or inexperienced person to come in and take over a developed/seasoned choir....b/c/ it can take things downhill really fast!

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »
A MOM who used to be a choir director and cannot teach parts or know music¿!

Sounds like they weren't qualified as the choir director as well.  That's saddening to hear. :-\
Not only saddening to hear, but also all too common these days. 8) 8) 8)
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
I feel like our choir is dying slowly. 
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
We don't have a youth choir at my church anymore.

That's because none of our youth grew up with musical inspiration. More so that they were submitted to musical horror from their parents. lol!

Offline chosenandcalled

• LGM Member
  • I John 4:16- He that dwelleth in love...

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »
just pray i mean, um, that is happening to a lot of choirs. I remember when my home church choir was so banging, i mean they were so krunk and they had so many wonderful songs, but then all at once they just began to leave or quit singing. now they don't have a adult church choir they have a children's choir.

Always remember the bible says... if there is 2 or 3 gathered together in my name, there I shall be in the mist of them.....
Chosenandcalled

many are called but few are CHOSEN......

Offline ndel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:30 PM »
Yeah it's a sad trend seems like every time you talk to somebody bout they church they say it ain't like it used to be.

I notice that for a while there might be two or three churches that be the place to be and everybody be going there. Then everybody start going somewhere else and that church go down to a few members.

I remember when we used to have to put chairs all up and down the aisle and if you didn't get to church early you didn't have a seat.  We added on to our church and guess what?  Where the people at?

At my friends church  they used to have a really good choir, then the MOM and the pastor didn't get along and when the MOM left all the best singers left too.  Them that didn't leave was sitting in the congregation.  But I believe if you have a talent you just need to use it.

If you really trying to please God then what you're doing is for Him not for people.  It's hard but you have to hang in there.

Offline RWILLIAMS3000

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:55 AM »

hey i fairly disagree with this for the simply fact that its not our place to question the pastor or the pastors choses that he makes.....we just have to trust that he sought the lord about the situation and just go along with whatever the pastor desides...but again just my opinion

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 02:05:21 PM »

hey i fairly disagree with this for the simply fact that its not our place to question the pastor or the pastors choses that he makes.....we just have to trust that he sought the lord about the situation and just go along with whatever the pastor desides...but again just my opinion

I agree with you.  I was just stating to ask the pastor for clarification.....not question him. 

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »
I see this happening to our choir. I am the musician. There are those of us whom God has given a talent and man compares us to others and we are in the "unqualified" section. What I do - I do for the glory of God. I like Rodney's thoughts - and that is to pray for the musician you have and let God elevate. Constantly, I pray that God will send someone to me that will help me increase on what I have. It's hard but I will never leave a church again. I did only once - and I almost lost the use of my right arm. God doesn't play. When He gives you something to use - use it. Maybe this church might think that a musician is unqualified - but God will open up another door for you to use your gift.  Remember - Your gift will make room for you.  So I think the best thing to do is PRAY and let God work. Don't get tied up and bring confusion.

But we're not bringing the confusion. They are at times. WE're bringing music, and have to try other things with it when folks don' show.
I'm not finished playing

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

Heard that. sounds familiar. folks sit down on 1 that's qualified also. some of these folks are shallow. u know ?
I'm not finished playing

Offline h313w

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:24:07 PM »

Some denominations aren't no joke. they will snitch on the pastor to bishops, higher clergy, etc. over them, and have him removed, cuz their feelings r on their shirt sleeves. Most pastors will say " you're on your own chief "
I'm not finished playing
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up