LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.

Poll

If your church stop paying you today would you continue to play for free?

Yes
160 (70.8%)
No
28 (12.4%)
Not Sure
38 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 217

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: If your church stop paying you today would you continue to play for free?  (Read 28197 times)

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

If your church stop paying you today would you continue to play for that church?
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

To be honest I wish I knew what it felt like to be a paid musician. I have always played for free so my answer is obviously yes.... :).

PianoWiz...

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I've been paid before and played for free...so I guess, my answer is...yes

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I've been paid before and played for free...so I guess, my answer is...yes

Co Sign!
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Ramar

I know it's a yes or no question, but I gotta explain myself....

Yes, provided that all my needs are being met at home... But on the other hand, if the money i was paid at church was being used to take care of my needs... then I'd have to take a second job, which may (or may not) mean that I won't be available for all the rehearsals and services.

Offline MissRiss

• LGM Member

Yes, I would continue to play. I've played on and off over the years and have gotten paid a little something. However, this time although they offered me something, I told them they didn't have to so we could build up our music department with other things. They take up an offering for me each month however.

I think it may depend on if you are an actual member of the church or were you an outside hire. I'm a member of my church so I feel that I should offer whatever talents I have to the church.

Offline musician_organist

• LGM Member
    • http://

For my home church, I would continue to play, but not break my back for them, if they stopped paying me.  As it is, they don't pay me now, so I don't stress.  There are four musicians at our church, and out of those 4, I'm the one who's never been "installed" as a musician and I am not paid, though at times, I feel like I could pull the weight of two.  I don't consider myself one of the musicians for my church.  Our audio/visual department is very short handed on workers, so whenever I'm needed there, I let it take priority.

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

i was playing BEFORE  i got paid.....and was just fine with it.   I am grateful that I do get compensated....but i wouldn't quit playing! 
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: If your church stop paying you today would you continue to play for free?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
i was playing BEFORE  i got paid.....and was just fine with it.   I am grateful that I do get compensated....but i wouldn't quit playing! 

Well, Spoken!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 04:03:20 AM »

INDEED….If only everyone would take this position.  I know in our church there are musicians who would have played without getting paid but now since they get compensated for there efforts they don’t play unless they are getting paid to do so.

PianoWiz...

praisingGodthroughmusic

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »
Yes...because what I do for Christ shall last....and plus I don't care about the money...I just enjoy doing what God has given me to do and that's play for the glory of God.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »
INDEED….If only everyone would take this position.  I know in our church there are musicians who would have played without getting paid but now since they get compensated for there efforts they don’t play unless they are getting paid to do so.

PianoWiz...

Co Sign!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 10:40:15 PM »
Yes...because what I do for Christ shall last....and plus I don't care about the money...I just enjoy doing what God has given me to do and that's play for the glory of God.

So True, " Only what we do for Christ will last"!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »
I would not stop playing, but I would cut down my responsibilities by 75%.

Offline MrSparrow

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
I checked Not Sure...

If my church was going through a period of financial difficulty, I would be one of the many people who will take a period of not getting paid or even a pay cut. I wouldn't be the ONLY one. I would ask the Pastor to make the same sacrifice he would ask his "FOLLOWERS" to take.

If the church just doesn't value what I bring and just think that they can get better results from the money that they pay me, then I would leave.

The TITHES went to the LEVITES. The LEVITES had NO INHERITANCE. They lived off of what was brought to the TENT.

Feel me?

MrSparrow

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 05:53:07 PM »
I checked Not Sure...

If my church was going through a period of financial difficulty, I would be one of the many people who will take a period of not getting paid or even a pay cut. I wouldn't be the ONLY one. I would ask the Pastor to make the same sacrifice he would ask his "FOLLOWERS" to take.

If the church just doesn't value what I bring and just think that they can get better results from the money that they pay me, then I would leave.

The TITHES went to the LEVITES. The LEVITES had NO INHERITANCE. They lived off of what was brought to the TENT.

Feel me?

MrSparrow

Good Points!

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 06:07:25 PM »
I haven't been paid yet and I started when I was 9. So my answer is Yes. Now if my church was stable enough to pay me and didn't I would be a little tight but wouldn't stop because I do it for God. But the stuff I buy for my equipment isn't cheap.
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
I checked Not Sure...

Feel me?

MrSparrow
I'm in MrSparrow's camp on this one. Whether i play or not depends on the reason for the pay cut. If the Church is suffering a hardship, is the pain shared by everyone or just the musicians.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »
I haven't reached paid status yet, so I don't know for sure what I'd do.  I do know that I enjoy playing and it has nothing to do with money, so I assume I would continue to enjoy it, unless of course this was how I made my living.  Then I would have to find something else on the side, which would decrease my availability as someone already stated.

Offline Lilfingers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
Was in the past---only peanuts---but didn't complain--didn't matter--  Not getting paid now!!!! Still just as dedicated!   Wish I can say that about others at my church and in my choir!
I'm playing for God's Glory--not man's. LILFINGERS
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up