LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidance?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Norris04

• LGM Member
    • http://

Guidance?
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »
I'm currently a drummer at my church and last year we got a new MOM when she first came she gave a good impression, now shes lazy, plays the same songs over and over again, sings old material, she directs horribily, and doesn't play the songs like the cd. The songs that she chooses doesn't have any power nor meaning. Every sunday my pastor has to do the job that she should be doing exalting the songs during p & w, when I get on the set I get upset and don't feel like playing, it's a year already, tired of the same old thing, people don't feel the music. It's furstrating! What would should I do?

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: Guidance?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:34:16 PM »
It sounds like you are very upset about the situation, and I feel like this has been written in a state of anger.  It's kind of hard to thoroughly analyze the situation when you have stated the following things:

1) Doesn't play the song like the CD--This may not be a bad thing at all.  You want to create the ministry service that fits your group.  It may not be necessary to play the song lick for lick, progression for progression.  Now if she's just playing whatever because she doesn't want to learn the song effectively, then I can see your point.

2) She picks songs with no meaning--While you may not feel that the song ministers to you, selecting songs is more about what moves you.  There are songs that I have directed although I may not like them, will give it the same passion as if it's the hottest song ever.  If the song references God/Jesus, it is a danger zone to say the song has no meaning when the song is talking about the reason of our very existence.

Sometimes we have to humble ourselves to make sure that God gets the #1 spot. 

If this is legitimately a concern of yours, you should address this to your pastor.  They are the ones to actually make any decision in regards altering the position or changing the problem.   (But if you say that that people don't feel the music, he must know that something is missing...)

One thing I suggest you not do (if you haven't already) is become vocal with the MOM or make it apparent that you have a problem, for this will create more controversy. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)
Pages: [1]   Go Up