LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PAY FOR CHURCH MUSICIAN ?  (Read 12606 times)

Offline rdl#1

• LGM Member

THE PAY FOR CHURCH MUSICIAN ?
« on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »

I would like to knowthe pay scales for church musician, bass,organ,piano, drums and
 guitar  also the mim.of music. is the pay stander or do church over see the
pay for all musicians.

rdl#1 ?/?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

Re: THE PAY FOR CHURCH MUSICIAN ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:03:40 PM »
The pay varies by church and position.  I am a bass player who receives $100 per month.

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:57:36 PM »
I think it all depends on your skill level, some folk feel like they shouldn't get compenstated for their service, I feel you should get paid your worth. There is rehearsals, sometimes musicians rehearsal, not to mention wear and tear on your equipment. Sometimes I will sign my check over to the church as part as my offering.
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline Bassyboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 04:14:37 PM »
I think it all depends on your skill level, some folk feel like they shouldn't get compenstated for their service, I feel you should get paid your worth. There is rehearsals, sometimes musicians rehearsal, not to mention wear and tear on your equipment. Sometimes I will sign my check over to the church as part as my offering.

Agreed..
Time is near until the son of man returns, so he that stays FIRM until the end will be saved........

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:33:18 PM »
Funny that this has come up again...anyway as I mentioned on another thread our church has musicians that are paid staff and then volunteers (bass, guitar, congos) are not paid. Well, over the holidays my MOM met with the volunteers and said that they had made provisions to pay the volunteers $50 per service. We have two bass and two lead guitar players so whoever plays gets the money for that service which we all felt was fair. We are going go be basically on a contract basis. Right now we have one service since we moved into our new church facility a few years ago. We used to have an 8am and 11am service. Our pastor said we will probably be going back to 2 services in March when Easter( Resurrection Sunday) comes.

On 1st sunday the mass choir sings both services and on the other sundays the male, women, youth will do a service and then the praise and workship team will do the other service.
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
i beleive for large churches the average is around $300 per sunday for the head musicians director, the rest of the musicians, probably tips, not sure... but i believe that's around the norm in Dallas.  Smaller to medium size churches, a good ole' pat on the back or a God Bless.

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
It also depends on demographics, back in NY I would receive $350.00 a month for my ministry, but then I decided to stop accepting payment for what really belongs to God anyway. I understand those who do get paid as it is allot of work and sacrifice, but for me and I'm only speaking for me, I choose not to.
Main5playah

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
The MOM at my church is Full Time so that is his day to day job at the church so he gets a full time salary, housing allowance and full benefits along with the other full time staff which is the youth pastor, childrens minister,  and senior associate pastor. The other musicans get a salary each month and have some benefits as well. As stated before it depends on where you are geographically, the size of your church and a few other factors.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:30:54 PM »
i wonder if you have to pay taxes too?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 09:50:56 PM »
I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks.  I've been receiving compensation from my church since November 2006, so they may hand me a W-2.  I had to complete a deductions form for them.

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
?/?

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:08:19 AM »
They have workshops at the Gospel Music Workshop of America on musician compensation.

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:08:55 PM »

As the church treasurer "Yes" taxes should be deducted from the check for IRS, Social security, and city and /or state taxes. This is required by law for anyone under employment by any organization. This includes for profit and non profit organizations.

Rob
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:37:11 PM »
If you regularly receive a compensation, you can create a company and then write off any music-related purchases.  You can reap some nice tax benefits when you purchase a new bass, get a setup, buy strings or other equipment.

There are different ways to do it, and the easiest would probably be to set up a sole proprietorship.  Another way to do it is to set up an LLC.  I'm actually thinking about doing this myself.  If anyone is interested more into this, then feel free to ask me.

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
I can assure you that taxes were taken from the pay I received and I had to report that extra income at the end of the year. Uncle SAM is like air, he's every where.
Main5playah

Offline Steelpulz

• LGM Member
    • gospelbassmusic

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »
As the church treasurer "Yes" taxes should be deducted from the check for IRS, Social security, and city and /or state taxes. This is required by law for anyone under employment by any organization. This includes for profit and non profit organizations.

Rob
....unless the are independent contractors.
Conklin GTBD-7, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0, Glasstone Lil G2, Holy Bible

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
Then the independent contractor is required to complete a W9 form to the church for submission to the IRS when the end of the year taxes are filled.  :)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline BassMan2000

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Bass Guitar

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
Saturday:
I received a call to replace a Bass player who had an emergeny.
We agreed on a payment of $100. At the end of the program I
got a handshake and no money.

Monday:
That Monday I played at a Watch Night Service.  I played from 8:30
to Mid-night. Played about 10 songs and the agreed amount was $150
at the end of service I received a check for $50.

So I have implemented a policy of money up front.

My father taught me that your word is all you have. If your word can not be trusted, You are nothing.

Does anyone else receive money up from. And before you ask , these are medium to large
Churches.

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
After being treated like that you have no choice but set a prerequisite for payment up front, and I know they had to be "Black Churches' it's sad but true we just don't do our own people right!
Main5playah

Offline bigneil

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:37:46 PM »
If you regularly receive a compensation, you can create a company and then write off any music-related purchases.  You can reap some nice tax benefits when you purchase a new bass, get a setup, buy strings or other equipment.

There are different ways to do it, and the easiest would probably be to set up a sole proprietorship.  Another way to do it is to set up an LLC.  I'm actually thinking about doing this myself.  If anyone is interested more into this, then feel free to ask me.

Hey BimmerFan, I would like to know more about this. Hit me up when you can.
I must fight with my praise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up