LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use for Talk/Mood music in church  (Read 1075 times)

Offline frank

• LGM Member
    • http://

What do you use for Talk/Mood music in church
« on: May 07, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
I was looking at an instructional clip from one of the "Heavyweights", and he was speaking on Talk Music.  He made a point to say NOT to play hymns or slow songs as talk music.  If that is the case, what DO you use?  Is it just a combination of your favorite passing chords/progressions?  Or are you actually just improvising on the fly?  Can you give me a couple of pointers of how to create your OWN talk music?  Any help is apprececiated!!

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Re: What do you use for Talk/Mood music in church
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 05:42:35 PM »
Try these.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/piano/worship.php

Whoever said not to use Hymns is giving you bad advice.
:)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »
Try these.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/piano/worship.php

Whoever said not to use Hymns is giving you bad advice.

Sometimes hymns are appropriate, but often times when a musician is playing a hymn, it can be very distracting. IMO, when good musician is playing talk music, it shouldnt even really be too noticable.
The only times I think songs are to be played when the pastor is speaking, is prayer, alter call, or if the pastor kinda mentions the song, then it will be alright to play part of the song. It also may be more appropriate to put songs in your talk music, if you are on the piano, as oopposed to the organ

What I do is just make up smooth, legato and slurring type stuff. But I do it on the organ so its a lot easier.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:29:55 AM »
What DVD is this?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
What DVD is this?

Eddie Howard said this in his organ dvd. I dont know where the OP heard that from, but of all the DVDs I have, I've never heard anyone condoning the use of songs in talk music. They focus on using different patterns, but not melodies. And of all the musicians I have heard, I've never seen them do it, save for a few piano players, but they kept it very light and spread out

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
Honestly........a lot of musicians play songs they just dont play the whole thing so its not as noticable.  For instance I'll could play the bridge to The Blood by James hall..............then fool around with some ohter song, then play half of a verse of a hymn...........talk music is whatever it wants to be
Keep It Funky

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »
I basically play a progression of chords, part of a song, or a modified version of a song.  It's o.k. to use a song or hymn as talk music, just don't make it noticeable.  Talk music should be just that, music that helps enhance the TALKING that's going on, lol.  If you start playing a noticeable song, people gonna sing and forget all about what's being said.  There really shouldn't be a beat/pulse at all, it should be very free flowing.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline normandm85

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:05:28 PM »
Hymns...smooth chords...nothing "out there"....Just slow moments that go with the flow of the service....and absolutely no runs if possible  ;)
The organ doesn't have a transpose button, learn it in every key!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up