LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meditate on this...  (Read 3867 times)

Meditate on this...
« on: December 30, 2004, 03:34:16 PM »
I live in a town where drummers do not understand their jobs. I go to a concert and hear so many drummers play extra busy with no taste and it is the same thing all night drummer after drummer.

This is my advice to everybody.

Practice fundamental hand techniques.
Practice basic grooves, not rolls.
Practice with a click regularly.
Learn basic theory. (at least the basics)
FIND YOUR OWN STYLE AND SOUND!!! If you like what you do, others will also. It will show in your playing, how much you love music.

Be humble and do not step on the toes of others. Play as a band member. If you want to go solo, do not play with a band.

Offline Pinaro

• LGM Member

Meditate on this...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »
aiiight....good lookin kidd
chris "Daddy" DAve ROCKS!!!
jesus ROX HARDER!!

BROOKLYN

Offline pinkcadii

• LGM Member
    • http://joelesmith.com

Meditate on this...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 01:15:32 AM »
Finally.......You sound like my husband.  He really appreciates real drummers that don't try to show off and be the center of attention.  He's a stickler for keeping good time and staying in the pocket.  He really admires other drummers that are NOT TOO BUSY.  Check out his web site. www.joelesmith.com...
HAPPY NEW YEARS from the Smith Family.

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

Meditate on this...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »
well i really wanna know, is there ever a good time to do chops when u play with a band. or do u just play the basic groove the whole time, with absolutly no chops.

Offline lildrummaboy_987

• LGM Member
    • http://

Meditate on this...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:20:33 PM »
hey groove im from bmore too whats ur name and what church u at

When to do chops
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 08:57:15 AM »
Well, there are good places to do chops in songs. I would say that learning when to do them comes from understanding the song you are playing at the time. What I try to do is accent certain parts of the song that are vital. An accent does not mean a roll, it could be as simple as playing the breaks along with the rest of the band and not playing through the breaks. One of the best things to do is set the break up with a small fill, and then play the break with the rest of the band. It will make the breaks more definite. Try to let the song breath and it will do wonders for the sound of the whole band.

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

Meditate on this...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 04:26:34 PM »
ok grove guy, i feel that. thats good advice. i was jus wondering. cuz a lot of guys on here seem to get upset when a drummer does anything beside kick hi hat and snare. and i know for a fact all drummers like to hear some nice tasty chops as well as grooving and playing with the band. so i was just wondering when would the appropriate time be to show what u got a little bit. and u told me, so thanks. but dont you have certain nights when u like to open up a little more than usaul on the set? not to be showing off, or taking away from the band, just having some fun.

On those nights...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 05:57:41 PM »
I have nights when I want to throw down, but as a pop/adult contemporary drummer, it is not to cool with the singer and the rest of the band. What I do before a gig is vibe out to some music that I love to listen to and air drum to it. That helps me relax and focus on the job at hand. Even when I want to improvise, I have learned to control it to keep my checks coming. LOL! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up