LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum tuning  (Read 5311 times)

123music

Drum tuning
« on: January 29, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »
I need help tuning my drums

Offline drkredneckgal

• LGM Member
    • http://

Drum tuning
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 03:48:04 PM »
Tuning drums can be difficult to do because it takes time ans because of the amount of time it takes to develop to type of sound you want. Everyone has their own opinion and veiw of tuning drums, but I'll give you my opinion.

If they are brand new drums and have those no name brand heads on them, take them off and buy some new ones; i prefer Remo or Evans.

Drumset toms are made to have a ringing sound so don't put cloth under the drum heads to stop the ringing. Buy a, "O-ring" for the toms to control the sound. They usually don't cost much (around 3-5 dollars a peice). If you do have a little more money you can also buy hydralic mufflers to put inside of the toms.

Once you have to right of muffling and drumheads tuning will be alot easier. If you have a favorite drummer or like the way another drummer's set sounds, crank out the CD and listen to them and tune your drums until you get the desired sound. You may not get the exact sound but pretty close to it.

When tuning the actual drum, it should be done evenly. What I mean is on the top head each spot where each lug tightens the head should sound the same. This will keep you rims from getting bent or "warped". Same thing on the bottom head of the toms, snares, and bass.

Here are some no no's for drum tuning:

-Never tape things to your drums heads

-The bottom head of your drum should never be tighter or have a higher sound then the top head

I hope this information helps you tune your drums. I have been playing the drums for quiet a while I think this stuff will help you out. If you have any more question just let me know.

tuning drums
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »
Well, this is all a personal thing and totally depends on what you are satisfied with. Tuning drums can be time consuming. You may have to experiment.

#1. You get what you pay for. If you have a low end kit, you will not have a very wide tuning range. It is the truth no matter how you cut it. Pearl Exports, Pearl Forums, Yamaha Stage Customs etc... are low end kits. You will not have a very wide tuning range on them. If you have a low end kit, the best thing to do is try to find the best resonant point on each head on each drum. That will probably give those kits the best sound they will achieve.

#2. If you have a good quality kit, you have more options about the sound you want. In this case, listen to drummers who have a sound that you like. After experimenting with different tuning styles, you might come across one that strikes you the most.

Simple Rules: always muffle the side of the drum that you are not tuning. When tuning a head, tune the heads across while slightly applying pressure to the middle of the drum so you can see when the wrinkles leave. After the wrinkles are evenly gone, start listening for pitch. Began evening out the sound of the head until you reach the pitch that you like the most and the head is singing. Do this for each side. Sometimes you may have to tune one of the heads down to reach a desired pitch.

Me personally, I always do the bottom head first. I do the batter head second. My bottom head is always tighter than my top head. I have a sound very similar to Vinnie Colauita's sound. That is a high pitched sound that can work for most styles, but it is very wet and not as dry as most gospel sounds.

In the end, you have to experiment and find your voice.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • A perfect man I am not, but I strive to be!

Re: Drum tuning
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:22:32 PM »
Bumped.... ;)

A brother is having trouble tuning my 16 inch floor tom. I bought Remo pinstripes but I can't get the floor tom right...Geesh
I'm destined for greatness!!!

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 04:02:02 PM »
Pinstripes are your problem. I despise those heads lol

If you want to stick with remo, I'd try some Coated Emperors.

If you want to go the Evans route I'd say Coated EC2s

ON a 16 once you "wrinkle tune" , you should be REALLY close to the the desired batter head pitch. As for the resonant, it should only be tuned slightly higher than the batter. You want the drum to be tuned to the point where it of sounds good, has tone,  blends well with the tuning scheme of your other toms, and gets "out of the way" quickly. By this I mean that when you strike the the drum it should respond quickly, and only resonate but so much. Not dead, but not timpani-like either.

Hope that helps  ;D
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
Pinstripes are your problem. I despise those heads lol

If you want to stick with remo, I'd try some Coated Emperors.

If you want to go the Evans route I'd say Coated EC2s

ON a 16 once you "wrinkle tune" , you should be REALLY close to the the desired batter head pitch. As for the resonant, it should only be tuned slightly higher than the batter. You want the drum to be tuned to the point where it of sounds good, has tone,  blends well with the tuning scheme of your other toms, and gets "out of the way" quickly. By this I mean that when you strike the the drum it should respond quickly, and only resonate but so much. Not dead, but not timpani-like either.

Hope that helps  ;D

Man I like the pinstripes for some reason lol..Thanks though I have never heard the term "Wrinkle tune" before. That joint sounds like a timpani right now so I got some work lol

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:10:22 PM »
Nothing more to add - you're spot-on! 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 06:30:48 PM »
Thanks my brothers on those tips...It still has a little ring with it, so I am going to keep tweaking until I get there.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:20 PM »
Good advice teflonminds88.

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:36:33 PM »
Thanks my brothers on those tips...It still has a little ring with it, so I am going to keep tweaking until I get there.

You want to keep a little ring in there, because if you eliminate all the ring it'll sound dead in a band setting. It'd be a good idea to let someone hit each of your toms, while you stand a good distance away, so you can listen to how the congregation hears your kit.
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 06:23:25 AM »
You want to keep a little ring in there, because if you eliminate all the ring it'll sound dead in a band setting. It'd be a good idea to let someone hit each of your toms, while you stand a good distance away, so you can listen to how the congregation hears your kit.

This kit is in my bedroom...lol. I get what your saying though. Right now I have eliminated the ringing for now.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »
What kind of kit is it man?  Don't forget to change your Resos. if needed.

I'm thinking about sticking some Coated Emps. on the Pearl kit at church myself. :-\
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »
What kind of kit is it man?  Don't forget to change your Resos. if needed.

I'm thinking about sticking some Coated Emps. on the Pearl kit at church myself. :-\

It's a pearl export series with the 12,13,16 toms. I thought I would like these Pinstripes cause I like the muffled sound but I don't know now. I think I will give these 3 months. Then switch to the Coated Emps....

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
It's a pearl export series with the 12,13,16 toms.

*snicker*

The old school sizes!!! 
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »
*snicker*

The old school sizes!!! 

LOL...Yeah man...The cave man kit....Geesh...

I wasn't going to say it cause I saw what was said about the kit in Sheens last clip

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »
It's a pearl export series with the 12,13,16 toms.  I think I will give these 3 months. Then switch to the Coated Emps....

Give yourself 3 months.....and switch to a Pearl Visions kit or used PDP CX kit.  Dawg, those ol' skool sizes on that ol' skool Pearl Export have got to go.  Upgrade man, upgrade.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »
Give yourself 3 months.....and switch to a Pearl Visions kit or used PDP CX kit.  Dawg, those ol' skool sizes on that ol' skool Pearl Export have got to go.  Upgrade man, upgrade.

This is the church set....I am using it until we move into a new facility. I am looking at a PDP X7 kit for my personal use

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 11:00:44 AM »
...If you can get a hold of the old PDP X7 with the Chinesse Oak, then you're good.  Otherwise, you're jumping from an ol' skool sized Pearl Export to a 7 piece Export made by PDP.  It's still Poplar wood.  The CX is the better choice.  Ask Beatboxerz, he'll tell you and we've heard 'em.  Better kit, good price, good sound.

Offline Keys410

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 11:06:33 AM »
...If you can get a hold of the old PDP X7 with the Chinesse Oak, then you're good.  Otherwise, you're jumping from an ol' skool sized Pearl Export to a 7 piece Export made by PDP.  It's still Poplar wood.  The CX is the better choice.  Ask Beatboxerz, he'll tell you and we've heard 'em.  Better kit, good price, good sound.

Cool. Is that the set Beatboxerz is playing on in his clip?

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 03:46:17 PM »
I got you man! I hope you like this! It is a pretty good price and the kits in good condition!

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/details.cfm?listId=104431840
Richard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up