LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has drummers showmanship over powered music?  (Read 2702 times)

Has drummers showmanship over powered music?
« on: February 14, 2005, 06:53:19 PM »
What up people?
I'm just curious about something. Is it me or are a lot of cats out there are playing to busy. It seems like chops are overtaken the music. All drummers want to shine, but it seems to me like just because you find space in the time to fill, why do we throw our 64th note double bass, warp 5 speed fill in there. I was told growing up that less is more, let your ear tell you whats the correct cymbal to hit. I admit, I'm guity of working on a fill and when the opportunity comes along in time let me try the fill here. But it might not of been the correct musical time to do that fill. Dennis Chambers is my dog I love him! But does his warp 10 single stokes suppose to be in most of his fills. To me dave weckl and steve smith are example of what i'm trying to say also. They have their own bands, its about them( the drummer) I thought as drummers are support back ground, if the artist wants to give us a solo it will be made known. I'm not saying not to be creative just be musical. I'm just opening up conversation here! What do you think :?:

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 09:01:56 PM »
i feel you on what you are saying. amny drummers out there believe it is all about chops and how fast you can do a fill. it is all about timing and knowing what to play and when to play it. i admit that i myself have done too much when i should be more layed back and let the song breath. that is why drummers like ?uestlove of the roots are so well respected. he always just plays what is necessary. so, to me, just be consistent but when the time comes, have a lil' somthin' to show. ha ha :)

its all good and its all GOD
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline lyonserie

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 12:11:51 AM »
I think i depends on what genre of music me im a worshiper on the drums and i dont know how the Lord might use me

Offline Rocker

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 12:04:47 PM »
I don't really show out because I don't even know what I'm going to do till I do it. I just let the Lord speak through my hands, my feet, and anything else. But I can see where you are coming from because sometimes you may have learned something new and you are just so anxious to try it that you put it anywhere and it can take a way from the song. But it also may sound good in a song.

Offline congahead

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »
It truly does depend on the genre and what the MD is looking for. Some songs have empty spaces where the MD wants the drums to shine. You won't run into this often but it happens. With that said I think drummers should play with a confident pocket, just laying the groove down and then add some color here and there. WhenI say add color I don't mean pour a gallon of paint on the canvas. Accents, doubling bass parts at times, and laying down a quick killer trick right before a hit is cool. Dave Weckyl, and D. CHambers are fusion drummers, and clinicians, who front their bands. It is O.K. for them to be more out front.
Pages: [1]   Go Up