LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stay ahead of the curve  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Black snare head

• LGM Member

Stay ahead of the curve
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:54 AM »
Vegas drummer, there is a lot of compitition out here and I'm trying to stay ahead of the curve. Shoot me some tips.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Stay ahead of the curve
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:59:48 AM »
Looking at the number of views either people don't know how to answer the question or they are presuming that you should already know the answers.
I understand your question. You are asking what can you do/work on/learn in order to compete in today's drummer market.

Most everyone here could stand at least a refresher on the subject especially since we have been very quiet on the board this year.

1. Master playing in time full body/each limb:
  • work with a metronome not just a click track focusing on the smaller subdivisions at slower tempos
    ex: sextuplet, septuplets, octuplets, nuntuplets at BPM quarter note 70 or less in order to play accurately at 120-140 BPM
  • work on each limb playing the patterns and or grooves independently in time with the metronome. When successful at a tempo add another limb/voice to play the pattern between... untill your whole body has Mastered the song parts
    Note: this helps when distractions or equipment malfunctions arise... you are not handicapped because your entire body (all limbs ) can play the parts independently and collectively at tempo.
  • Practice speeding up and slowling down a song without loosing the groove/feel of the song.
    This prepares you to play songs on the spot even though there is an impromptu tempo change never rehearsed

2. Master using electronics:
  • get you a Roland XPD-X Sampler Pad, and Octapad or a Yamaha pad
  • electronic drumpads, triggers, and brain modules
  • Learn to find, manipulate and create your own sound patches
  • Learn to use midi controllers
  • [Learn Ableton Live software/li]
3. Learn to read and write music and charts

4. Learn the Nashville Counting System

5. Learn to play and control bigger cymbals (18", 20" crashes, 22", 24" rides, 15", 16" hi-hats) and bigger/deeper snares (14" x 6.5" or 14" x 7" or 14" x 8" etc.)

6. Become proficient on another instrument
teaches you to hear your parts and choices from a larger... purposed based perspective (what the composition and other musicians need)
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:40 AM »
thanx Sab!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
excellent response!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
Professionalism, Professionalism, Professionalism!

I cant stress this enough. Bottom line, there are a lot of talented musicians out there. As a matter of fact, only a fraction of that talent is required for a performance. However, there are not a lot of musicians that will not return phone calls, text, and emails in a timely manner. There are not a lot of musicians that will not show up on time to rehearsals and church service/gigs. There are a lot of musicians that will not learn songs like they are supposed to. There will be a lot of musicians who will have a bad attitude at gigs. You want to stand out? Be talented AND professional. Every interaction with another person is a possible audition for a gig.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Thanks Jonesl78....Hey...are u playing anywhere Black Snare Head? Mountaintop Faith Ministries is looking for a ministry-minded drummer in Vegas. I put the thread in the general topic forum.... 

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
Professionalism, Professionalism, Professionalism!

I cant stress this enough. Bottom line, there are a lot of talented musicians out there. As a matter of fact, only a fraction of that talent is required for a performance. However, there are not a lot of musicians that will not return phone calls, text, and emails in a timely manner. There are not a lot of musicians that will not show up on time to rehearsals and church service/gigs. There are a lot of musicians that will not learn songs like they are supposed to. There will be a lot of musicians who will have a bad attitude at gigs. You want to stand out? Be talented AND professional. Every interaction with another person is a possible audition for a gig.

Amen!!! come on in here preacha!
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »
...this is a good read!  Excellent!
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
Me likey!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up