LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knowing what to practice  (Read 2763 times)

Offline chrisc18

• LGM Member

Knowing what to practice
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:01:56 PM »
Hey I'm having trouble knowing what to practice. ..I feel like my practices are not effective at all...somebody please help

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

Re: Knowing what to practice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
 Practice what you do not know how to play

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
Practice what you do not know how to play

Hey, J78,   that could be everything.  I think he wanted a little more specificity.

Offline chrisc18

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
yes because I mean to improve talk music, chord placements, runs, I think my problem is im to bored with my playing so when I practice its even more boring to me, I really need to get out and over that...what do I use as "building blocks" I guess to practice

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:33:20 PM »

Hey, J78,   that could be everything.  I think he wanted a little more specificity.

The question was pretty general and I was attempting to provide an answer that would cover majority of the bases. However, your point is well taken.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:15:28 PM »
yes because I mean to improve talk music, chord placements, runs, I think my problem is im to bored with my playing so when I practice its even more boring to me, I really need to get out and over that...what do I use as "building blocks" I guess to practice

If you are bored during your practice, that's an indicator that you are probably playing things that are familiar and not challenging yourself. There are two very powerful tools that I believe will help you achieve growth.

1. Transcribing- This can mean multiple things from simply learning a song by ear to breaking down a complicated solo. Make a goal to learn something new, preferably a song. Depending on your skill level and the difficulty of the concept you are trying learn, it could take minutes to months to reach your goal. I have have been working a certain bass riff for weeks. Enjoy the journey.

2. Take a break.

Offline chrisc18

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
hey that was a great tip, I think my problem is "challenging myself" your right ...now that I think about it I really don't, I don't know if im afraid of learning something and not executing it correctly

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:11:36 AM »
+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up