LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foot Control...  (Read 2578 times)

Foot Control...
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:08:37 PM »
I would suggest that everyone practice 8th, 8th triplet, and 16th notes with a click while keeping a steady quarter note with the hi hat. Take it slow and master it.

Do not force your body to do things that it can not do. There is not a drummer on this earth who can do straight 16th notes at 170bpm on 1 pedal. NO NOT ONE. If anyone says they can, they are lying. Do not hurt yourself physically trying to do the impossible. Nobody can make a single kick sound like a double.

*Now, you can do 16ths at 160bpm with a double. in fact, that is slow when it comes to double kick patterns. So, how do you fix this problem. Do the same excercise in reverse. Develope both feet equally.
Concentrate on the mechanics of what you are trying to accomplish. Do not injure yourself. Playing fast in most styles of music (gospel, r&b, pop, modern rock, folk music, classical), does not count for anything. If you play speed medal or death metal or some progressive rock, then you might need to be able to play straight 16ths at 200bpm. YOU WILL NEVER DO THAT WITH 1 foot!!! NEVER!!!

In all that you play, be tasteful. As a touring drummer and MD, I will let you guys know that we really DO NOT CARE about how fast you can play. We care about taste and fluidity. In fact, we laugh at show offs. Just telling the truth.

JFunky

Foot Control...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »
Well, there is one drummer that sounds like he's playing a double pedal and he uses 1.  He's John Blackwell Jr.  If you don't believe, get with someone that has his instructional DVD and you'll see.  

Other than that I agree with the rest of the things you've stated.  Being tasteful and having a good groove will always make us good drummers.

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member
    • http://

Foot Control...
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:35:19 PM »
Let us not forget the likes of Chris Coleman and Derico Watson.  I have seen both of them perform in clinic situations and trust me they both can do bass drum patterns with a single pedal that sound like a double pedal.  PT.

Offline 2eachhisown

• LGM Member

Derico and Chris
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:54:00 AM »
Derico and Chris both have a fast foot, but it sounds nothing like a double. Turn on some Virgil Donati, this is what a double sounds like. Even John Blackwell has a super foot, but what he does with double, he can not do with single. Turn on a click at 170bpm and then tell me that Derico or Chris can do 16th not singles on 1 foot. I will pay to see that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up