LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW LONG SHOULD A CHOIR REHERSAL LAST?  (Read 11323 times)

LilWes

HOW LONG SHOULD A CHOIR REHERSAL LAST?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 10:37:59 PM »
my state choir rehearsals last about 5 hours  and local about 30 minutes if no one shows up adn 2 hours if they do  8)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 02:10:19 AM »
Quote from: JoyCH
Quote from: Luvphillyman
Oh, so that no one thinks I'm making a "mountain out of a mole hill", here's E XACTLY what was said to me in the Bass Guitar forum:

"You need your own talk show! Wow!   8O

We like having a different perspective here but you know they have a Gospel Singers Forum.

The content of a lot of you conversation is good but leads me to ask, how long have you been a Christian? Not trying to judge you but to understand you... I probably am off a little but I would bet you are considered an outgoing personality"...

I'm trying to understand you - what does this have to do with choir rehersal? Christians can have a decent conversation - esp. when its not directed to anyone.

Joy

See: http://www.learngospelmusic.com/ftopict-16239-.html#82632

Dude, you took what he said the wrong way...and like JoyCH says, this has nothing to do with "choir rehearsals".

Offline NoelII

• LGM Member
    • http://www.kevinsharpe.net

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 09:45:42 AM »
My rehearsals start On TIME and can last up to 2 hours. The mind can only absorb what the behind can endure. If I have a big event or something I'll announce that we'll have longer rehearsal (with breaks). I always do vocal warm up exercises for 10-20 min first and prayer. During this warm up I cover tone, breathing, duration, texture, and diction. That way during the songs it's more of a review.  I generally dictate lyrics (they must bring a pad and pencil) and only hand out lyrics to soloists. I do rhythmic phrasing for all the parts then I'll give pitches.  Since I do all the songs like this, review is simply to tighten up things and get more precise (or to remember the song if we haven't done it in a long time).  Instrumental rehearsal is different though.
Psalm 33:3 "Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise."

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 02:10:12 PM »
Well one time in my choir, we introduced a new song on a Saturday because the singer of our song we already practiced had an emergency, so we learned that new song in 3hrs and we sang on Sunday like we practiced all month. Choir rehearsal should not last more than 2 and a half hours or until you feel that you have accomplished something. :)

Offline temejo1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Hello LGM!

Rehearsals
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 11:43:24 PM »
My choir spends the first 10-15 minutes taking care of business...old and new.  Then, we spend the next 30 minutes going over all of the songs we sing...the shortened version of course.  We then learn a new song the remainder of the time.  The musicians (myself included) already know how to play the songs, the directress knows the song, and so does the leader, if there is one.  However, there are times when we just go over old songs and not learn new ones.
Don't take my kindness for weakness!
http://www.facebook.com/bamagirl4real

princeoftheb3

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 11:54:51 PM »
I believe a Choir rehersal should last as long as it takes the choir to get the song right without the words in front of their faces, whether or not if it's for an event of some sort, because I don't believe you should do anything special just because you got a huge crowd, I believe you should do the same thing for the Members that you do for the guests.

Offline catty

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

choir rehersal
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »
Both choirs (at different churches) rehearse 1 1/2 hours. We practice a few minutes little longer if we're still working on a specific song or part.  We sing two selections on Sundays.
"God, My Family, and Music is my life!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2005, 07:34:57 PM »
We practice for about 1 1/2 hours.  I wish it was longer.  That is too short in my opinion.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

JoyCH

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 08:44:11 PM »
Quote from: T-Block
We practice for about 1 1/2 hours.  I wish it was longer.  That is too short in my opinion.

John Manley would love this. I sure hope he doesn't see this post.  :D

Joy

Offline rickshaun

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2005, 12:21:47 PM »
I work with a well developed choir and in order to get your choir better it will take 30 minutes to warm  up. i dont care how good they are, breathing skills and range can always be increased. My choir rehearsals last  anywhere between 2 to 3 hours. its not that my choir is not capable of finishing in a shorter time but i am a perfectionist and things shall be done in decency and in order so we stay until it is done right. No point in singing learning a song and mess it up sunday because no accuracy was taught in the rehearsal... WE stay long as it takes because we want to be the best we can be. NOT for show but for the kingdom. No point in letting your gift go to waste if you can perfect it.
We start on time
Praise and worship for about 15 min
Warm up lasts 30min
Learning a song is atleast 30to 45 min (we learn atleast two songs)
Run thru all songs and dismiss.

Now it seemed unnececsarry to me when i started but in order fo r a song to be sung well it should be taught well. no matter how easy or hard the song is. Every accented note, pronounciation of words, intervals, etc should be taught accurately in order to get your choir to a great perfection.

JoyCH1

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2005, 07:51:11 PM »
Rick wrote:

My choir rehearsals last anywhere between 2 to 3 hours. its not that my choir is not capable of finishing in a shorter time but i am a perfectionist and things shall be done in decency and in order so we stay until it is done right

Brother I agree with getting it right but when you work as many hours as I do - 3 hours is a long time. Bboy suggest 90 minutes and you can do it in that time.

Joy

Offline SisterSteinway88

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2005, 10:53:08 PM »
Our church has a lot of choirs -- Children, youth, Annointed Voices, the Majestic Choir, the Sanctuary Choir, the Mass Male Choir, Acts Chapter Two (praise team) and don't forget the handbell choir Shekinah Glory.  Then of course there's the M.A.S.S. choir for special occasions, and the Chorale (an ensemble that does the high-brow sheet music stuff).  As senior accompanist I'm responsible for most of their rehearsals.  The shortest are the kids and the handbells, who practice 1 to 1 1/2 hours; the Sanctuary Choir and the M.A.S.S. choirs practice anywhere from 1 1/2 to three hours, depending on what kind of songs they're working on--their directors believe in practicing until they get it RIGHT.  The musicians (The Posse) practice about two hours, mostly because we have three services worth of music to cover.  Each choir has three songs to render; every now and then each choir comes up with three NEW songs for us to learn.  When that happens, we musicians threaten to go on strike, but no one seems to care. :roll:

Offline Chocolatedrps

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2005, 01:04:20 AM »
I would say 1 1/2 to  2 hours no more than because you would first want to allow time for any administrative things to pass along. and give everyone time to come in from the activities the day and be able to focus on an effective rehearsal. Then you can get into the vocal warm ups and singing. All of this should take no more than two hours.
Amazed by His Grace

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 09:53:24 AM »
Usually 2 - 3 hours, but that is too long. I think 1 hour is enough if you are organized. It gets drawn out when we don't know what we are going to sing or if there is some talking. GEESH!

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 10:13:04 AM »
90 mins. tops.  It could be a lot less if th choir comes in focussed on their task.  It takes the Mass (adult) choir longer to rehearse than the Youth choir.
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up